Thread: Oulton park yesterday

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oulton park yesterday

Had my final outing of mag 7's yesterday, for those that don't know i stuck the car nose first into the tyres at Cadwell 3 weeks ago. Eventually got it finished/repaired on Thursday.
    Never been to Oulton before and guess what it was raining. So I thought lets try my 'wet' 539 tyres that I didn't put on at cadwell, when I was told I should.
    Man it was slippery and I finished 32nd (Last) in quail. for mag 7's.Had no rear end grip at all. Thought bugger this lets try the r888's for the open race quail. So glad I did as I was considerably quicker, you could argue that there had been 1 more quail in between so the track could be getting better, but I just felt more stable. qualified 28th out of about 35ish cars of all sorts of marques.
    Yay it stopped raining.
    Went out in Mag 7's starting at the back of the grid, stunning start making 3 or 4 places by 1st bend, steady pace, not fast, but steady. Big off with 2 caterhams at shell corner brought out safety car for about 5 laps, timed it just right to pit on safety car penultimate lap, as several cars got caught up in pit lane as they couldn't get released under safety car. Ended up finishing 14th over all and 1st in class, just. The other cars in class achieved a better fastest lap but I must have had someone looking down on me, as i just kept it steady and in clean air as best I could. So total of 4 meetings entered in mag 7's 1 dnf as only had 3 wheels left on car, 1 3rd in class, 2 1st in class.
    In the open again a steady race, nearly running out of talent at one point though down into the second chicane making up places finishing 18th, again after another cracking start. 5th in class but still happy with the result as racing in a westy against things like big v8 astons 911's and m3's is quite daunting. Especially when you talk to them and they say they struggle to see the '7' cars as they are too low and in blind spots.

Anyway, great time away and many thanks to those that helped me get mine finished in time, special thanks to may dad for being pit crew and getting the timings just perfect. Not thanking him for still bloody snoring in the camper though.
    Even better, we made the 23.55 boat back last night so didn't have to wait until 5am.

I have previously discussed the power difference between the front guys and me, talking to one of the guys he is running 342 bhp and his Caterham cost him iro 85,000.

Everyone seemed much more relaxed and talkative at this event, whether it is because it is the last one of the season or not I don't know.

I urge any of you that are thinking about circuit racing, go on give it a try, great fun and I don't think too bad value for money, compared to sprinting and trackdays.

2. Thanks Ziplobb thanked for this post
    Likes sheps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work Lee.

What are the tyre regs? A539's IMO opinion are a dog shit tyre.
    MikeH - "The Orb was right"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Weave View Post
    Good work Lee.

What are the tyre regs? A539's IMO opinion are a dog shit tyre.
    Tyre regs are basically, anything road legal in list a,b, or c with a few limitations due to this years msa change of some tyres only being on certain era vehicles in certain sizes. I am using 7x13's ideally 205/60/13 rear 185/60/13 front. However the 539's were 185 all round. Pain in the arse as I have 2 new sets of them! Perhaps it was because they hadn't been fully scrubbed in?

I have used 539's on minis before and had thought they were quite good, but that is on a short, fwd car. Not as nice as 48's or 32's in the dry.

I am open to suggestions, some guys were using zzs's other v70's some 28's/21's? On westfield sports series in sprinting they recommend useing 888's in sg compound for wet

I used 888r's at cadwell they were ok until I had my oh shit moment, slow speed slide into the tyres. But 888's seem better in wet so far.

feel free to comment, all races are 40 mins with a 30 min quali.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A021R might be worth a look
    The shiny side goes UP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lee. I use Kumho V70a which is available in 175 and 215.

They compounds are:

K12 SS
    K22 S
    K50 SM
    K60 M
    K90 H

Can you cut tyres?

For me the V70a is ok in the wet, better when cut to a wet.

However, no road tyre will offer the grip of a full race wet.

539 are just terrible IMO.
    MikeH - "The Orb was right"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

r888s are actually a good tyre on a wet track, maybe not standing water but very good otherwise. R888r not as good in the wet but better in the dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zombeh View Post
    A021R might be worth a look
    I agree, however I would need to find old stock as they are now no longer road legal, New ones are marked competition use only.

Quote Originally Posted by Weave View Post
    Lee. I use Kumho V70a which is available in 175 and 215.

They compounds are:

K12 SS
    K22 S
    K50 SM
    K60 M
    K90 H

Can you cut tyres?

For me the V70a is ok in the wet, better when cut to a wet.

However, no road tyre will offer the grip of a full race wet.

539 are just terrible IMO.
    Thanks for this, Can not cut the tyres, have to be exactly as manufacturer design. Funnily enough Chris Lee has offered to supply Kumho, will check with him what he can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    r888s are actually a good tyre on a wet track, maybe not standing water but very good otherwise. R888r not as good in the wet but better in the dry.
    This confirms my findings so far.

Thanks for the input guys, time to look for tyre prices ready for next season. However by then there will probably be more on the scene.

anyone want to buy 2 as new sets of Yokohama A539's in 185/60/13, one set on new minilight rims?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iowlee View Post
    I agree, however I would need to find old stock as they are now no longer road legal, New ones are marked competition use only.
    Typical, I wonder if there will be any tyres left by the time I have either of my cars with 13" wheels back on the road
    The shiny side goes UP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toyo R1R might be a better wet/damp tyre compared to the R888(r).
    Locost race car #63 AKA 'Madmax'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V70a is a good tyre and perfectly acceptable in heavy rain with a few cuts, but untouched would expect the r888 to out perform with ease
    two turbos no cam