Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: write up from todays last min booking for Goodwood trackday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default write up from todays last min booking for Goodwood trackday

Decided yesterday to book a 1/2 day trackway at Goodwood for Today.
    I thought this would be a nice shakedown for the westfield following changes that have been made to it.
    So all booked then try and get a ferry. WTF Wightlink nearly 90 more expensive to take a trailer over just a car. Red funnel Cheaper than Wightlink but times not as good and further to travel.
    So sod it Booked car only and decided to Drive it there.
    Driving down Wootton High Street and throttle peddle pushed to the floor and no noise. Damn and Blast.
    Pull into Sloop car park, bonnet off and thankfully no snapped cable but the linkage to the jenveys has come undone so Cable not actually doing anything, nice easy fix.
    Well if that is all that can go wrong then result, gremlin out of the way.
    Get the 6 AM Ferry, nice and early to track. turns out only 17 cars booked on for the AM session so nice track time expected.
    Sound Testing 98DB static 96 Driveby. Passes with a static of 97. (With No bung)
    1st session all good playing with a R400 Caterham superlight, however I then get warned about noise so short shifting and 3/4 throttle past meters.
    2nd session same as first start with, bought the Caterham again and on the back straight tucked in about 1 car length behind get an almighty whack under the car followed by metallic nasty noises from under my bum. So decide to pull in thinking I must have run over something from the car in front or something my have dropped from mine. No warning lights up, so hopeful. When exiting the car I notice nothing missing from body work. Then I notice an M12 bolt about 6 inches long sticking through the floor pan (alloy) right in front of my seat. Oh bugger, that was close. Marshal helps me check and can't find anything missing so he is about to call in the cater ham when I notice the alternator at a funny angle under the nosecone. Nose off to find the bolt is the pivot bolt that holds it on!!! it has also lost one of the M8 adjuster bolts. It is just hanging there belt still attached (hence no warning light for charging) Luckily not taken off the Dry Sump belt, I think that actually kept it on. However it had ripped the front cam belt cover off and that was just hanging there!!
    A very helpful guy from a service team in the next garage to the rescue with a nut for the bolt and a spare bolt and some loctite.

All back on 1/2 an hour later and out again.

All going ok now and out playing again.

Later in the morning, having a very interesting time with the caterham overtaking a much slower but very lovely AC Cobra Diving into the Corner by the shell super building when We get Black flagged. Poop expecting to get a wrist slap for overtake when passed the brake board. The Caterham just carries on. Bugger just me to face the music then. Nope Apparently we were too noisy, he did say I let you off the last 3 laps but you are getting faster and louder and closer together. Chatham now pulls in behind me and gets the same lecture. (Very nicely dealt with though) Proud owner of a nice orange sticker.

When checking car over I notice the rubber robin exhaust mount has had it so the nice guy next to me also supplies me with a new one ( I bought him lunch at this point as he was a saviour) Take end of can apart to replace the mount and by now it is 12.20 last session just gone out so game over!

Was a great day, however now need to get map looked at on dyno as I feel over fuelling man that thing is banging on over run now.

As a note there were 2 cars failing the static test but they were being dealt with in a sensible manner ad were able to get out all be it not able to give it full berries. So respect to the way they were dealt with.
    Not so sure the guys in the Tiger 6 that turned up at lunch time though as they were 105 as their best static reading. Ouch Not a repack able silencer either and whole system welded so not a lot of options for them. Left before I found out what happened to them.

Probably the best moment for me though was whilst working on the car, talking to the sound test marshals a radio call comes over could a marshal please get a message to the Silver Mercedes that his rear left wheel looks like it is about to come off. Could the Recovery team please get ready. (Some v8 sounding AMG badged thingy, looked and sounded lovely though)

2. Likes Dan, sheps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eventful day. Wightlink, standard. Noise is such a shame. You've got a great static to start with but the drive by is killing you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Eventful day. Wightlink, standard. Noise is such a shame. You've got a great static to start with but the drive by is killing you.
    Dan haven't you developed an in closed airbox to reduce the induction sound of Subzero? maybe Lee could do with a similar mod.
    Locost race car #63 AKA 'Madmax'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Basra Matt View Post
    Dan haven't you developed an in closed airbox to reduce the induction sound of Subzero? maybe Lee could do with a similar mod.
    I'm not ruling out induction noise but after talking to the guys at Goodwood the main issue they had was the noise on over run coming down hard into the corner. I have looked at the enclosed airbox out of the bonnet torpedo style, just waiting to see if I can get agreement under the regs for racing, as it protrudes quite a way from the original silhouette. I have also booked it in for a dyno session as I personally think the fuelling is well out (running rich) hence so much popping and banging and abysmal fuel consumption.
    Will update once I have an answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ha, no. i built a cardboard box over it in 10 mins. RodO is the man to solve this.

..not usually one to moan.........much MikeH's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the subject of driving 7s to trackdays, I followed a guy in an R500 for a good 60 miles up the M1 this morning, in the rain!

That must be terrifying.
    FGM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree. Not my idea of fun at all.

A Goddam Sexual Tyrannosaurus Ziplobb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    On the subject of driving 7s to trackdays, I followed a guy in an R500 for a good 60 miles up the M1 this morning, in the rain!

That must be terrifying.
    Mental
    Fucked up by Deave (again)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post

That must be terrifying.
    It was raining yesterday for the Goodwood day. (On and off) both the r400 and I drove to the event although he had doors and a roof I had half doors and no roof. 1st time I have driven it on the road with a helmet on, didn't want to get the hair wet. Thankfully though it wasn't raining too heavily to have any standing water. Just showers.

A Goddam Sexual Tyrannosaurus Ziplobb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lee do you know what exhaust and induction set up he had on that car ?
    Fucked up by Deave (again)

12. Thanks UltimateAdam thanked for this post