User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Sprint 17th October

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bitter sweet, shite. Fantastic result, that's what matters. Better being competitive and some cosmetic damage than last with a shiney car.

2. Thanks iowlee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Bitter sweet, shite. Fantastic result, that's what matters. Better being competitive and some cosmetic damage than last with a shiney car.
    This cheered me up�� Not a heavily contested class but some seriously quick single seaters there. And a rather rapid Gtr. Damage not horrendous, as you say cosmetics. Everyone was shocked at how little damage as apparently it was impressive, and ironically my fastest run was my 1 st timed run. 2nd run was the off. 3rd was me checking the car still pointed in the right direction and 4th was just off my pace in the 1st so can only improve����

4. Likes Dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's loads left then if you were fastest on the 1st run. The backend on the westfield must be an expensive replacement. It's the side and the rear wings as well as the back? gaffer tape and carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good result Lee, but shame about falling over! I want to do this one day.
    Rollin' for the bitchaz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, not great at write ups but here goes.
    Early start, left home at 5AM, sailed on 6 ferry, it was surprisingly busy, do people really get up at that time of the day. I had only been in bed for about 2 hours!
    Nice easy journey to Goodwood and arrived about 5 past 7, just after the circuit opened.

I have never done a sprint before, so all new, found out where to go for scrutineering, unloaded trailer and had to move it to the outer circuit to allow for space. But we were allowed to bring cars back in if we crammed them together, so at least Shauna had somewhere to sit in the warm.
    Scrutineering was at 7.30 and pulled up all ready to go, first thing he checks was battery cut off. I have just fitted a new electrical cut out, guess what both buttons have decided not to work. So he checks everything else, tells me to go away and sort it. I am now swearing to myself, all the connections seem good. Take them all off, put them back on again and hey presto it works. This is one of the reasons I hate electrics they are a dark art.
    Back to scrut to get sticker. Get helmet blue stickered, part with a couple of quid, and off to sign on.
    Really nice helpful people.
    Off for the dreaded Goodwood sound test, John Russell has been playing with my exhaust trying to get it quieter by welding in a vortex mid silencer, after I re packed it and still too loud. I thought I will try my luck and run without the bung. Low and behold 97db. Result as it is a 105 day with a 101 drive by.

Started talking to a couple of the other drivers around at it is quite obvious they have all been sprinting for some time, this also being the final event of the year titles etc were up for grabs.
    My closest competition in my class by way of power were a Caterham running 225bhp and a Sylva Pheonix running supercharged just over 400bhp through a sequential box!!!!! The Sylva is currently winning the class championship apparently but struggles with sound.

1st outing was 1 lap from pit lane followed by a second rolling lap to sight the course and get an idea of lap times.
    Mine was 103 seconds the Caterham was 98ish from memory with the Sylva 87ish. Other kit cars were similar times to me, some running in the road going class and other not. 1st run out Sylva put in a storming mid 80's but has a misfire and is slapped for sound Caterham 96.29 and me 96.30, the others were 98-102. Several stoppages caused a delay (including a single seater hitting the chicane I believe) and they took a break for lunch before the second timed runs. This is where it went wrong for me, I had a burger and nearly chocked on it (that was before I found out shauna spent 6 on it), then we start the second qualifying runs. The temperature has now dropped and everyone is saying the times will come down as it is cooler and the cars will run better.
    I leave the pits sliding and spinning, pull second still spinning and sliding leftwards, not a problem as that is the line I want to be on. Pull 3rd and by Jesus She now steps out the rear touching the left rear tyre on the grass, thats it me pirrouetting off the track towards the tyre wall, bugger bugger bugger! Oh yes I have saved it! Oh no you haven't!!!!! reasonably solid impact on the rear corner, car keeps running and to save a delay i taxi the car to the marshal point on the first bend via the grass, I didn't want to carry on as I had no idea what the rear of the car looked like.
    As it happened not as bad as I had thought, but the tub is now fubar'd. After that run of 5 cars I ask the guys if I can return to the pits they are happy as the car is drivable. Proceed back and am swamped by loads of people in the pits as apparently it looked quite good and they were all surprised that I was OK. I would love to see it because I didn't imagine it to look that exciting. Shauna wasn't in the pits so I wasn't sure where she was but apparently she ran round the outside of the circuit to come and see me as she wanted to check if she had to claim of my life insurance (she said it was to check if I was OK), but alas not this time. However I hadn't realised that just as she was arriving at my location I left to come back to the pits. She wasn't impressed.

Much fettling and checking and the car seems ok other than bodywork. Possibly a slight buckle in the wheel or a damaged half shaft as a little movement.

So ignoring the advice of the guy in the Sylva I am determined to carry on so take the car for a spin up the road, as I return, run 3 is going out so I rush to get lid on and give it a semi reasonable paced run to check the car over. Get back and all is a bit heated in the pits as the guy in the Sylva has been told he has 2 choices leave the circuit now due to sound levels or get his license endorsed. He is not a happy bunny, he realises that if he doesn't get a time today he will lose the lead in the championship. Oh don't you just love a bit of drama.
    This puts me now 2nd in class with the Caterham one 100th in front of me.

We go out for run 4 and as we return we are all saying that we improved. But unfortunately even though I put in the fastest time of us, still not enough to beat my previous as this was a 97.

So there we have it, a great day, made some new friends, found a tyre wall, entered my first and not to be my last sprint, but more importantly passed sound check at Goodwood with ease.

Have an idea about what else I want to do to the car, gearing definitely needs sorting as other than a 1600 Caterham I was the slowest terminal speed, a shocking 30-40+ down on the sylva and 15-20 down on the other kit cars.

So there we have it. If you haven't done a sprint before definitely worth a look.

8. Thanks Dan, Ziplobb thanked for this post
    Likes Laurence, sheps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring it round and I'll slap a bit of csm and resin on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great Lee, I want to do a sprint now . Glad to see the Nazi marshals are still the same at GW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You made noise ok. That's good for Trackday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Ogilvie View Post
    Bring it round and I'll slap a bit of csm and resin on it.
    If you are up for a look rod that could be great. I think for next season I will be changing the body for one with removable arches but there is a minimum of 30 day lead time at Westfield. I need to do something with it in the mean time though. When is best for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iowlee View Post
    If you are up for a look rod that could be great. I think for next season I will be changing the body for one with removable arches but there is a minimum of 30 day lead time at Westfield. I need to do something with it in the mean time though. When is best for you?
    Removable wings aren't a problem here. I've got a couple of moulds already, and I'll be doing another couple of widths to suit a pair of gents who want carbon items over winter.

Repairs to grp wings are something I've got used to..........

Give me a ring on 291570 and we'll see what and when.

Regards,
    Rod.